YES, the plant fair will be back this year, somewhat different than before. We are scaling it down from the usual 4 hour larger event by focusing on selling plants. We'll also have a garden-related jumble sale ("Green Elephants") with some information tables, but no vendors.
DETAILS: Saturday May 27, 2023, 10AM - 12PM Roncesvalles United Church, 240 Roncesvalles Avenue.
We will be ordering in choice and interesting plants from a select nurseries for resale, and are hoping members will contribute plants to be sold by growing vegetable, herb and annual seedlings in potting mix, as well as your houseplant offspring, and divisions which have to be specially prepared this year. WE NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE.
CALLING ON DIVISIONS
Having lots of plants for sale is vital to the success of our Plant Fair. If you think you may be able to donate some plants to our sale, we will be so grateful!
Shoppers seem especially interested in native plants, pollinators, house plants of all kinds, tropical plants, hard-to-find-plants, and so on.
Plant division's from your garden will be accepted only under strict conditions. You’ve undoubtedly heard about the jumping worms. Clement Kent talked about this invasive pest that has the potential to change our indigenous boreal forests as well as our backyard soil. It is a very real threat to our ecosystem. Please read our article with info about Jumping Worms by clicking here.
Please let us know what you plan on contributing, so that we can anticipate the quantities and types of plants coming. Email us at email@example.com.
When To Start Digging Divisions
NOW! Now is absolutely the best time to begin digging.
Remember, you'll need to bare-root your divisions this year: wash away all soil with your garden hose, and then pot up your plants in clean pots with store bought soil. We understand that this is a tedious extra step but it is absolutely essential for us all to do our best to minimize the spread of jumping worms. We can also provide you with soil and/or pots for free if you need it!
Label Your Plants
- Plant Name: plus, if you know it's a native plant, definitely say so!
- Type: grass, shrub, ground cover, flower, vine, tree, etc.
- Partial to Sun, Shade, or a Mix: you can just draw a circle - hollow circle is sun, filled in is circle is shade, and half-and-half is a mix — see image below.
- Flower Colour (if applicable)
- Size (if possible)
- An Image (if possible): BONUS marks to those who can print off an image of the plant in bloom or fully grown. Just google it! An image really helps give people a sense of what the plant will look like in time, and it makes it easier to sell.
Deliver Your Plants
Drop off potted-up plants on or before Saturday May 13, to Jessie's front porch — 49 Boustead Avenue (one block south of Bloor & Dundas).
For Plants Grown From Seed
If you've been growing plants from seed, these can be delivered directly to the Plant Fair venue (Roncy United Church) on Friday May 26th, between 6-8pm, or to Jessie's porch anytime that week.
Need a Hand?
Need help digging, dividing, root-washing (due to jumping worms), labelling, or transporting your divisions? How about help with repotting? Or do you just need some potting soil or clean pots? No problem! Contact Mary & Misbah by email at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday, May 8, and we will arrange help for you. Email us at email@example.com.
CALLING ON GENTLY USED GARDEN SUPPLIES
Our Green Elephant Sale (a mini flea market specializing in garden and plant materials) needs your donations. This is your chance to purge, so do take advantage.
Examples of What We're Looking For:
- Gardening tools and pots (Please no plastic pots - they just don't sell)
- Garden ornaments of all kinds (Garden gnomes!)
- Bird houses & feeders
- Decorative vases & baskets
- Garden furniture (Metal and wooden items sell better)
Please give items a quick wipe or rinse, so that they are in clean, saleable condition. Please, no plant books or magazines this year.
Deliver Your Green Elephant Items
Drop off on or before Saturday May 20, to Mary’s front porch — 24 Abbott Avenue (a few blocks north of Bloor & Dundas).
Need a Hand?
Need help transporting your goods? No problem. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LET'S GET THE WORD OUT!
Please help us advertise our upcoming amazing Plant Fair!!!
- Print and POST POSTERS for our event on standard paper (8.5x11): Download the poster here.
- Print, cut, and SHARE OR DROP-OFF FLYERS with your friends or at your favourite coffee shop: Download the flyers here.
- SHARE our event with your friends on social media:
And if you haven't already reached out to us to volunteer at our Plant Fair or even just to help with some of the prep work ahead of the big day, be sure to email Misbah at email@example.com.