These were soooo delicious at the January meeting that everyone was asking for the recipe. So here it is:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar, or 2 if you are making sweet scones
- 2oz / 60grams very cold butter
- 1 egg
- milk to make 3/4 cup or 180ml when mixed with the egg
- Preheat the oven to 400F or 200C
- Sieve flour, salt and baking powder together. Stir in sugar.
- Cut butter into flour mixture until butter is the size of small peas.
- If you are making fruit scones add raisins, cherries etc. or add cheese for cheese scones.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and butter mixture.
- Mix the egg and milk together and pour in the well of the dry ingredients.
- With a broad knife quickly combine the wet and dry ingredients together. Do not over mix. There may be a little dry mixture at the bottom of the bowl. The mixture should be damp not wet.
- Place the dough on a floured board. Pat out GENTLY. DO NOT roll out.
- Cut out squares or circles with a sharp cookie cutter or a sharp knife into desired shapes.
- Place on a lightly buttered cookie sheet or baking stone.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until browned on the top and cooked through.