- Enjoy a stroll in St.George’s garden when you arrive.
- Green Elephants for sale.
- Plant divisions for sale.
- Purchase your Garden Tour tickets.
- View the entries in the Flower Show.
- Eat cake.
- Presentation by Hort member Gina Matesic.
- Celebrate your fellow volunteers.
- Answer Trivia Quiz questions and choose your prize…
- Two special presentations on Étienne Brûlé and Historic Swansea.
- Fiesta Gardens
- Martin’s Flower Shop
- Guffin Hardware
- Alternative Grounds
All Hort members are invited to the Strawberry Social, to be held in the garden at St. Martin in the Fields, on Glenlake Ave. between Keele St. and Indian Grove. Rain or shine the event is on. Please bring a non-alcoholic beverage for yourself. Time 6:30pm to 9pm.
It’s spring! Consider planting native trees around your home through LEAF’s subsidized Backyard Tree Planting Program. Native shrubs and garden kits are also available to help you build biodiversity and attract songbirds, butterflies and other pollinators to your yard. Help protect and improve the urban forest. www.yourleaf.org
As the summer turns to fall, our intrepid traveler, David Leeman leaves Toronto Islands and heads south to the equally beautiful islands of the Caribbean, where he has become something of an expert. He will show us his favourite gardens in St. Lucia, Barbados and other island paradises.
Our annual coach tour will be on Saturday, June 22, 2013. The Fletcher Tours coach will pick us up at the Keele subway (Indian Rd. side) at 8am and return us at 6:45pm. The cost is $70 per person and includes the following:
- Palatine Fruit & Roses - After a short lecture on roses we will then have the opportunity to purchase some of the gorgeous specimens grown at this nursery.
- Buffet lunch - At the Best Western Beacon Inn,with its view overlooking lake Ontario, we will dine on a variety of salads and vegetables, pasta, roast chicken and desserts.
- The garden of Wayne Rubel - We will be treated to an exclusive tour of this beautiful private garden, which has been the feature of many magazine articles with its arbours, ponds and skilful plantings.
- Magnotta Winery - Wine tasting is on the menu at this award winning winery, along with the opportunity to purchase from their extensive selection.
- Northland Nurseries - Located in Clapison Corners, this nursery has an extensive variety of plants for the connoisseur. As an added bonus all 1 gal pots are $5.99.
Do remember to dress for the weather, rain or shine. In particular you may wish to wear comfortable shoes and bring your water bottle and sun hat. To reserve your spot, please mail your cheque, made payable to the Horticultural Societies of Parkdale & Toronto, along with the names of the participating individuals, to Patrick Mulroney, 153 Westminster Ave., Toronto, M6R 1N8. Reserve as soon as possible, as the places go quickly. Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org For a more detailed description of the tour click here.
- Tour: “Spring into the Arb”
- Date: Saturday, April 20th, 2013
- Time: 10:00 – 11:00AM
- Location: Humber Arboretum (at Centre for Urban Ecology) 205 Humber College Blvd, Toronto, Ontario
- Trail Difficulty: Moderate (not wheelchair accessible)
- FREE Admission